Thursday, February 28, 2008

Wunder What?

Wunderkammer, or a cabinet of curiosities.
Basically, these were weird little cabinets that contained all sorts of artifacts (Many of them Fake) from around the world.

Basically, I want to make a wunderkammer in Flash, and I want to produce an analogue version of it as well.

As far as the discourse in the cabinet is concerned, Im not really sure how I want to proceed. Im really interested in Surrealism right now, and I like how they use these metaphors to represent the bourgeois society that they want to revolt against. So, I think Im going to do something along those lines. Now I need to do more specific research on the wunderkammen, and the contents that I want in it.

Cabinet of Curiosities on Wikipedia

A case of curiosities not strictly a wunderkammer, but the taxidermy work is influenced by wunderkammer work in the 18th and 19th centuery

Bureau of Bureaucracy cabinet made by Kim Schmahmann uses the form as a vehicle to subvert bureaucracy.

Contents of a cabinet

Great page with a lot more wunderkammeness

1 comment:

Marc Aaron said...

This is a really cool idea, the possiblity to assign different personalities to different objects might be cool. This could really go in different directions depending on what you wanted to say overall.